Sunday, April 17, 2011

Nature study


I can't say enough about how much I love My Father's World classical curriculum. When we began the States study, Josiah began to beg to study a new state. With each state, we learn a new state bird. Suddenly I began to notice his interest in birds. Several years ago I read the Charlotte Mason companion book and I remembered Karen Andreola explaining how important it is to nurture your child's interests. If you notice your child taking interest in something, nurture it! Well, birds and flowers have been a huge interest in our home lately! So, I have been spending the last few weeks nurturing that. We have bird feeders, we planted wildflowers and I checked out books from the library for the book basket. We also made a birdbath!

I feel rejuvenated! It seems that when I spend time nurturing their interests, I create a pretty amazing learning environment! I am so thankful for the Holy spirit who constantly guides and directs me. I am also thankful for my Homeschooling friends who share amazing ideas and encourage me along the way. Constantly I am praying that the lord will use me to bring new Mom's into the Homeschooling world. It is the greatest thing I've ever done with my life!

We are getting ready to go on vacation and we will be in a beautiful part of Texas where there are hiking trails, rivers, streams and a gorgeous lake. And of course, BIRDS and TEXAS WILDFLOWERS! I did a wildflower project with my aunt when I was in 5th grade, so I am so excited to do one with my kids when we go on vacation!

Happy Spring!

No comments: