Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Family Integrated

It has been two and a half years of staying home on Sundays. We have fought the urge to go "somewhere" just to say we went. Every single time we moved in the direction of finding a church, we never felt it was time. We spent nights googling and reading about local churches, and that seem to discourage us even more.

I began reading, searching scripture and talking with others about what the Bible has to say about family worship. During this time, I became aware of The Family Integrated church. I had told Jeremy over and over again that I had no desire to go to a church, walk in the door, and watch our family be dispersed to four different areas. I wanted them with us!

The more and more I read about age segregated churches, the more I realized it went against everything we were doing in our home. It did not make sense to go back to "mainstream" church. As we searched for a Family Integrated church, we realized it would be tough to find one we felt comfortable in. We found a couple, but they were either too far or the theology wasn't something we understood. Finally, we have found one that has a lot of homeschoolers like us, large families, and it is close to our home. I'm really looking forward to being around families like us. It can be lonely sometimes when you make a choice to do the opposite of what everyone else is doing. Surrounding ourselves with like-minded families is a wonderful thing!

I never thought I would say this again, but I am so excited about church on Sunday!

I've read a few books, researched A LOT, and watched a few clips on vimeo and YouTube regarding the FIC. Here is a video that describes so much of what we struggle with. The church has become a part of the culture in too many ways. I realize leaders have to reach this present generation, but I've been a part of the machine (church) that compromises. We can't ever go back to that way of church again. I repent.

Divided from NCFIC on Vimeo.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow! This was fascinating. It addresses some of my very own concerns; I send the girls to youth group, and then discuss the message with them, often interjecting what I want them to know, which isn't always in agreement with the teaching. I have realized it really is a socail time above all else, not as heart changing as I hoped. I'm eager to hear about your journey with family integrated church (a term I have never even heard before!) and how it impacts your family.

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of this before until our conversation a few weeks ago! I'm so glad you waited on the Lord to show you exactly where to go! I can't wait to hear more about it!