Monday, August 1, 2011

Book Baskets

Book baskets are something I learned from my favorite Mom, Wife, Homeschooler, and Author, Sally Clarkson. Last School year, I began buying books from Goodwill, Amazon and Garage sales. I'm working hard to fill our home with the "classics". I am not someone who grew up loving books. As a teenager, I usually chose tv over reading. Until a few years ago, I didn't enjoy curling up on the couch with a good book. Now? I crave a good book and couch time! Thankfully, the Homeschooler in me has brought out a learner and reader. I've learned to love reading! I'm praying my children will love to read too.

I don't know if we will ever be a family without a tv. I never dreamt in a million years we would get to a place when we didn't turn the tv on during the day or night, but we did! Playing, reading and family worship seems to take up the whole night before bed. I'm glad! It has centered us as a family, and created quality time spent together. The tv is almost always a big, fat waste of time! Reading is not.

A friend of mine told me a story the other day about being a child with a stack of books, and reading all of them in just a few days. She would even read some of the same ones over and over again. And today, she remains that girl in love with books! I love that about her.

Finally,I'm a girl in love with books! Praying I create a love for reading...in our home...that will last a lifetime. Collecting books my grandchildren will read too! I love that!

Here are our book baskets! I've spent months working on these baskets, and I look forward to finding more to add to each collection. This weekend I am filling up our library book basket as we prepare to start school on Monday. Excited for a new school year!

I've included a few pictures of other places filled with books. My Mom brought me some classics I've been wanting this past weekend. I plan on reading Wuthering Heights this fall or winter. I've heard it is a good "cold weather" book! Cold days can be rare in Texas, so I'm saving that book for a cold day!

(most everything I am reading is on the kindle. We have a ton of Josiah's books on kindle too. I love the kindle app on my iPad! It has changed my life as a wanna-be reader! I stay up most nights reading in bed while my "early to bed" husband sleeps! I'm determined to become an avid reader, and the kindle has helped. A lot!)


Boys' room


Living room


My spot by the couch


Family Bible study/Worship and read-aloud books


Entry way


The Girl's room

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love reading! Always have,always will! My parents most effective punishment, a grounding from reading for 2weeks! Yikes! That was a motivator for sure to shape up! :)

Kelly said...

I love that you are cultivating a love for reading! (In both you and the kids!). You are so intentional!

Love the baskets, my house is filled with stacks and baskets of books, too. Seeing them is so comforting.

Love Being A Nonny said...

I am a lover of reading. Always have been. You probably WILL have children who love to read because you are exposing them to books at a young age. Keep it up!!

Unknown said...

Angela, that is awesome!! I think Ava Beth is going to be the same way! I pray!

Kelly, thank you. I wish I could come curl up on your couch, drink hot tea, and talk books with you and the girls!

Nonny, thank you! I always love your affirmation in my life. Always!