Thursday, August 18, 2011

Serve




I first saw this chart here. I loved how it did not have the word CHORE on it. This morning I was praying for a word that would be special for our own chart. First, I looked up the word CHORE in the dictionary. There were a few definitions that all meant the same, but I saw one that affirmed my choice to not use the word CHORE. 


Chore- An unpleasant or burdensome task.


No wonder no one wants to do chores! Then I thought about the verse we have posted in our School room. Instantly, I knew the Holy Spirit had given me our word for the chart!


23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. -Colossians 3:23-24


I laminated everything I could. I want things to last for ALL of our kids. However many that is! :) We do chores twice a day. There are a few that only need to be done in the afternoon. Those have a "PM" written on them. As you finish a "Serve" card, you move it into the slot on the right. Done!


Guess what we are talking about regarding character right now? Serving! Perfect! I love how the Lord works. The Holy Spirit always delivers and it always flows within the vein your already in!


(P.S. I got the library card pouches at Mardel's. They even had zebra print, but  Josiah did not agree! Instead we used each child's favorite color.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Friend - so cool! I love how you truly pray about every element of your family! And you know what...he ALWAYS shows up! Love you tons!

Kelly said...

Love this! I read a book last year that really convicted me of this same thing. We are to serve one another! What a blessing to serve our family. Since th egirls are holder I am *still* working on implementing this, but I think I may try a similar holder (but they would both love the zebra- ha!)

Love you friend. You are such a great Mom.

Liz Ferguson said...

Thanks for sharing. What a wonderful idea! I love it! I think we might do something like this with our kids.

Where did you get your clip art for your chart?

Karen said...

"acts of service" is so much better than CHORE. I do have a major CHORE today. It's cleaning the closet AGAIN. Why can't I keep it straight?

love you
mom