Friday, June 22, 2007

Friends

Today I was sitting at McDonald's with my friend Gina, her two kids and my three. Josiah and Adrianna, Gina's daughter, are both four years old. Actually they are only one month apart and will start kindergarten together at the same school. That day will be here way before I want it to be. But today I had a glimpse into Josiah's future. As he sat next to Adrianna with his chicken nuggets, he realized they were way too hot to eat so he decided to rely on the help of a friend. "Adrianna, can you blow on my chicken nuggets to help cool them off for me?" I looked at Gina and said, "They sound like an old married couple, don't they?" And we laughed. A sweet moment that made me realize how much he loves and trusts his friend, Adrianna. They have no idea what's ahead of them. All of the things they are about to experience and experience together will shape them for the rest of their lives. Learning to read, how to write in cursive, how to walk in a straight line to the lunch room, how to raise their hands and how to stay in the lines when coloring. One of them will be picked first for the kickball team while the other may be picked last. And heaven forbid, a day will come, when they hurt each other. But, after a day, it will all be forgotten and they will begin again.

Isn't that what being friends is all about? Forgetting and forgiving. Loving each other just the way they are. It's not a small thing, it's everything. These friendships take time and it means that we constantly have to give grace to one another and see it through, no matter what. We may reach out and get hurt or rejected but, those friends that truly hold on and see it through, those are the ones that last forever. That's the beauty of seeing things through. Instead of looking for a fight, looking for an offense, we look to serve them and love them exactly the way they are. What a gift, an incredible, amazing gift of a friend.

Loving a person just the way they are, that's no small thing. It's the whole thing. And if we go looking for real friends, we're gonna find it.

(To my friends that have taken the time to love me, get to know me and continually forgive me, thank you. I cherish you. I need you. And to the friends that are in the midst of that process with me now, thank you. I cherish you. I need you.)

Now, please listen to a song on my playlist to the right of this blog called LOVING A PERSON by Sara Groves.

5 comments:

This is Patti said...

Just wanted to let you know Mama Sings has recently been named to my Current Top 5 Favorite Blogs. The complete list is on my site. Congratulations, and best wishes on your newest venture!

Olive said...

He sounds so sweet! Didn't you say a while back that you felt God calling to you home-school? What changed your mind? I'd love to hear the process, if you don't mind. I'm sure there's a story there... ;)

Christina said...

Thanks for this post, you always have a way with words.

Loved the song. :-)

Gina said...

I love to see our cuties together! They were so sweet last night, I just can't wait to see them in soccer together, LOL! And we forgot to take their picture together AGAIN!
Thanks again for dinner, you're a great cook and the Rum Cake....YUMMY!!
LOVE YOU!

Amy... said...

"Isn't that what being friends is all about? Forgetting and forgiving. Loving each other just the way they are. It's not a small thing, it's everything."

This is awesome, Amanda! I've been thinking about this when it comes to a dear friend of mind and she's just to precious not to overlook "issues". Thanks you!