Wednesday, October 17, 2007

And I did some baking today!


Last week we thought we heard a knock at the door. My husband went to the door, but no one was there. We have glass on our front door that allows us to see outside. Since my husband did not see anyone, we did not know that we had been BOOed! For those of you that are not sure what being BOOed is, you can go here and read about it. Long story short, I finally realized we had been BOOed by my sweet friend Erika (Kyle/pastor's wife). She is the most creative, most crafty person I know and can bake really good! Well, there were many treats inside the bag. Coloring books for the kids, suckers, a candy corn snow globe, scary teeth to wear and a few other things, Oreos dipped in white chocolate covered in orange and black sprinkles and M&M cookies! I'm supposed to keep the BOO bags going but I don't think that will happen but Erika did them for everyone on our Resonate team and I loved the cookies so much, I decided to make some myself. Thanks Erika for sharing the recipe!

My friend Janna is coming over tomorrow with her twin baby girls. So cookies were a must! We went to junior high and high school together so it will be fun hanging out and pigging out on cookies! And something totally random, Erika went to Texas A &M with my friend Janna. Erika was roommates with Janna's lifelong, childhood friend Stephanie (I also went to jr high and high school with Stephanie too), their freshman year. Such a small world! Erika and I discovered this a few years ago and now it's weird that the three of us now live in Austin. I decided to take Alton Brown's advice and use butter flavor shortening for the cookies! They are delicious and have perfect shape! I love my cookies puffy! So if you want the recipe, here it is! It calls for shortening but I used the butter flavored shortening. Either one is fine but the butter flavor was marvelous and Alton Brown says it works great for puffy cookies!

17 comments:

Kelly said...

I was just wondering today if we are going to "boo" one another in our cul de sac this year... it is such a highlight of October for us:-)

Sounds like Erika outdid herself with the Boo bag! Maybe we will be the ones to start it this year...

Kate said...

We got Boo'ed last night too!!! We are going to do it to another neighbor tomorrow night. I just need to get some goodies (been waiting as long as I can to keep them OUT of the house until the 31st!!!) Guess I;ll have to run even more - ugh!

Unknown said...

Okay, now y'all are making me want to BOO people!! :)

Kate, I ran 3.2 the night before last and could not go past 3 tonight. I think those Halloween treats are weighing me down!

Becca in Texas said...

Ok so I am not a baker at all!! But those cookers look so yummy I am going to try them. My kids will fall down dead if they come home to find something baked for them. (husband too)

Becca in Texas said...

Ok so I can spell cookies =)

Anonymous said...

They look delicious. I didn't get to mine yesterday (maybe today)
Courtney

mamashine said...

Oreos dipped in white chocolate, mmmmm....
Boo'ing sounds fun! Maybe we'll do that. We've lived here six years and don't even know all our neighbors. Pathetic, I know.

Christina said...

I want to be BOO'ed!!!! lol

Angi said...

Sounds like fun. I've never been "Booed"!

Angi said...

Sounds like fun. I've never been "Booed"!

Kelly said...

Yay:-)

A little after I wrote my comment last night we found a fun package on the front porch- we had already been boo'd- our turn tonight!

Unknown said...

Okay, y'all are all making me want to BOO someone!!!

Erin said...

We have been boo'ed before and loved it! It is a fun way to spread some Halloween Cheer. I can't wait to try to make these cookies. Don't you just LOVE Alton, he is so smart and entertaining!

Liz Ferguson said...

I think I'm the only one who has never heard of being boo'ed! :) Sounds fun though.

I don't know if it's because I'm pregnant, but I'm totally hungry for those cookies! They look awesome. I think I might have to make them! :)

V. said...

are ya gonna post the recipe? They look yummy!

V.

V. said...

oh , never mind....too early in the morning, I didnt' see the linky.

:(

Jules said...

I can't wait to make these; they look SO good!:o)

Julie