Friday, October 19, 2007

I'm off and running!

I have never ran over four miles and my friend Wendy is running a marathon on Sunday. Tomorrow I will be running a 5K! :) It's only 3.2 miles but it's still a race and I am kind of nervous about getting a good time. Heidi and I are running it together and since she is still in her 20's and I am in my 30's (early 30's), we are in a different age bracket! So we don't have to compete against one another, instead we will be able to encourage one another to run faster! We have a time we've discussed that we would like to meet but if we don't, no big deal. I'll just make my own medal if I don't place. HA! (Yes, they are handing out medals!) Maybe they will hand out a medal for the cutest running outfit. I think I could win that one. Heidi would win the one for best legs because she has these LONG, LEAN legs. Seriously, why do I have a friend with gorgeous legs? I'm not short, I'm 5'5 maybe 5'6 but my legs are not long. God chose a long torso for me instead of legs. I had just gotten to the point in life where I was content with my short legs and then Heidi comes along and I am back to coveting long legs.

The iPod was going to be left at home so Heidi and I could just talk but I think I will have to bring it because my ears are so sensitive to cool air. Last weekend I ran early one morning and it was about 60 degrees. My ears were aching so bad! Maybe I could just put some cotton in my ears and not worry about the iPod. We are planning to run a 10K in a few months and that's when I think the iPod will definitely come in handy but 3.2, I would rather talk! :) Heidi and I talk a lot while we run and sometimes I will say, "Okay, I can't talk anymore. I need to concentrate." Funny when I think about how I need to concentrate on 3.2 and Wendy is running a marathon! I'm sure Wendy would say that my 3.2 is something to be proud of but good grief, she's running a marathon and I just don't think I would ever have the discipline or attention span for it. (Wendy, I am so proud of you. My fellow "Mom of three", you rock!)

This week while I was running, I kept thinking of a scripture passage that symbolized so much of what our life is about. I think that's why I enjoy running because it gives me a visual, physical picture of the race we are all running on this Earth. And I can't help but to think of my Church planting team when I read this passage. We are all a part of something pretty amazing and as I run, I can see all of your faces. We are running an awesome race together!

Focused on the Goal - Phillipians 3

12-14I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.

15-16So let's keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision—you'll see it yet! Now that we're on the right track, let's stay on it.

17-19Stick with me, friends. Keep track of those you see running this same course, headed for this same goal. There are many out there taking other paths, choosing other goals, and trying to get you to go along with them. I've warned you of them many times; sadly, I'm having to do it again. All they want is easy street. They hate Christ's Cross. But easy street is a dead-end street. Those who live there make their bellies their gods; belches are their praise; all they can think of is their appetites.

20-21But there's far more to life for us. We're citizens of high heaven! We're waiting the arrival of the Savior, the Master, Jesus Christ, who will transform our earthy bodies into glorious bodies like his own. He'll make us beautiful and whole with the same powerful skill by which he is putting everything as it should be, under and around him

7 comments:

Timmarie said...

Well wishes for this weekend's run. I'm sure you'll do great. I gotta tell ya, after the first "race," it can get addicting. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Unknown said...

Thank you Amazing Racer. This won't be my first race but my first one since having three kids. If I had the time, I think I would be running one every month. I am loving it!

sweetscentsandmakeup said...

Hello, I think I visited your old blog a long time ago, and seem to have found you again! You have a full and blessed life! Your children are beautiful! Congrats on the race, that is awesome! God is so good.

Thanks for the recipe below. I'm heading out in a bit to get some ingredients, maybe I'll post a pic of the results on my blog too.

Stop by and say hello. I'll definitely pop in here regularly.

Have a blessed weekend,

Nadine

Becca in Texas said...

You should read my blog I intro'd your verses there! God was using the same passage on both of us this week just in different parts. Good luck on your race and way to go for even doing it!

Gwen said...

Good luck this weekend!

Kelly said...

Good luck- have a ball!

Wendy said...

Can't wait to hear how it goes, you will do great! You are more than ready for a 5K!