Thursday, April 28, 2011

Homeschool update

With the growth of our family and the hopes of continued growth (yes, that means more babies), my priorities have shifted when it comes to spending money. I am so thankful for the ways the Lord has softened me, changed me and helped me to realize the things in life that truly matter. Having a large family requires a lot of discipline with finances and we haven't even paid off the medical bills from Jude. I hate that! But, I am trying to be faithful to where I am at right now and simplifying our life has been freeing.

One of the areas I am cutting back in? Homeschool Curriculum. Last year I spent almost $600, maybe more in curriculum. Most we haven't even used. I've been praying so much about this and the Lord has done such a work in my life that I've decided to do everything I can to buy as little as possible for next year. I plan on taking full advantage of the Libary, used books sales and curriculum swaps.

Gardening, nature, crafts, art and reading has really been something that has clicked with our family. I need to get better at reading aloud more and doing more unit studies. So, that is what we are going to do.

As of today, we are only using a textbook for math and we love My FAther's World for History and Bible! Love it! There is such freedom I feel in this! Also, after almost four years of homeschool, we are now a year round Homeschool House. This is the best decision I've made for our School so far.

I am so thankful for the Holy Spirit and how He reveals new and amazing things for our School. And I am so thankful for the friends in my life who encourage me in this journey. I am inspired daily by incredible women!

Here are some resources I am using. With the help of my library, most is FREE! I read the Charlotte Mason Companion four years ago and now I'm reading it again with brand new eyes!

You can google all of these links. I don't have time to insert links on the iPad. Takes too long! And our computer is broken. :(

*Unit Studies by Amanda Bennett
*Beyond Five In A Row
*Ambleside Online
*Simply Charlotte Mason

Oh and 99.9% sure that we will not be using Horizon's Math after we finish this year's curriculum. Looking at Math-U-See for next year.

There's my Homeschool update!

No comments: