Friday, October 10, 2008

camping trip

Josiah and Ava Beth are camping with my parents. Well, they are in an RV so kind of like camping. They are on the road right now and the excitement in Josiah's voice has brought me to tears. He is so excited! My Mom just called to tell me some of the things he has been saying.

"If a word does not have a vowel, it's not a word MiMi!"

"I'm very smart. I've always been smart and now I have some of Mommy's smart in me."
(I think we may need to work on his ego soon. Hey, at least we know we are doing a good job in the "words of affirmation" department!)

"C & K sound the same but they're not the same." (We had to have a talk about him spelling "Park", p-a-r-c. So I am glad he remembers!!!)

Mom said he is non-stop spelling things and talking about all that he has learned. I'm so proud!

A few nights ago we were sitting at the dinner table and he said, "Mommy, I just figured out inside my head how to spell juice! J-o-o-s! Joos!" So cute! Of course I explained how his spelling was not correct but a great guess! "But Mommy, the letter o with another letter o makes the 00 sound."

Next week, when he's back from Fall Break, we will have to talk about i before e, except after c or when sounding like " a" as in weigh and neighbor! Now I am learning and remembering too because there is an exception to that rule. Species, science and sufficient where ie follows c. I like this one below!

i before e
except after c
but we live in a weird society


I love homeschool!!!!!! You see, he is on the road traveling to a state park with his grandparents and he is still having school! Later when he goes on a hike with his cousins, he will still be in school! Every single time he picks up a leaf or a rock and discovers it's color or shape, he will still be in school! On the paddle boats, school will still be in session! At the campfire making smores, school will be in. What a gift! And he took his nature journal with him so I can't wait to see what will be in there when he gets home!

Thank you Lord for this gift! THANK YOU!

4 comments:

Paula said...

Josiah is a great boy. He sounds great to be around. A teachers pleasure!

Man...the English language...that is why they say it is the hardest to learn. Too many exceptions.

Karen said...

That is so amazing that Josiah has been (and still is) learning so much!

Blessings~
Karen

Love Being A Nonny said...

Looking forward to hearing about the trip!!

Anonymous said...

E before I, except after Y...and sometimes W.